View Single Post
Old 04 August 2008, 20:38   #110
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
The real beauty for most of the 8bits and Amiga EMU is that it runs as it would do on a standard crt tv ie perfect scrolling, none of this lcd or plasma blur rubbish
Sorry I have to disagree. The X-box emulators all suffer from a problem of interlacing and scaling. They were never correctly programmed to use a single field (they were capable of it, but it was "too low level" for the emulator coders) and so they all use an interlaced screen mode with the image scaled over two fields, which looks "ok", but noticeably different to the single field progressive output of the old 8-bits (and 16-bits). Also the flexible scaling on the X-box... which is cool, can exacerbate this problem. It can be difficult to get the correct aspect ratio and the scaling can make pixels appear on different fields causing strange motion effects.

Dont get me wrong. I like X-box emulators... it's just they are not "perfect".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Iv'e always had a problem with pc's when it comes to emulation as the whole experience feels disconnected half the time - it's a real joy seeing your snes game running on that crt and looking identical
I take it you have always had an LCD on your PC?

PC CRT users have (for a long time) been able to use PowerStrip to select a 720x576@50Hz screen mode and run their emulators full screen with V-Sync for great results. It looks as good (if not better) than the X-box. It looks a LOT better than emulators in the standard desktop resolutions of 1280x1024@75Hz. If your CRT or gfx card do not do 50Hz, you can try 100Hz, but the results are not always the same

There are no interlaced artefacts on a PC display (unlike the xbox on a TV) because it is progressive, the only downer is that it is a lot sharper... which isn't always desirable. Some emulators have PAL output filters which can help, but most other filters are rubbish.

Last edited by alexh; 04 August 2008 at 21:02.

Page generated in 0.05330 seconds with 9 queries