View Single Post
Old 20 April 2002, 15:50   #23
On-Topic: Yes, I think that we have seen the last commercial game for A1200 (without significant upgrade) on floppy disk. I don't think there has been one for about 5 years now. It's CD/extra processor power all the way...

I am sure freeware and shareware games will still be made for unexpanded A1200s, though.

Off-Topic: @ jmmijo - 'so-called' popular entertainment? It IS popular; no 'so-called' about it. I don't understand where Twistin' and yourself are coming from, I'm afraid. Perhaps the advocation of some form of censorship? A Universal Board of Good Taste to sift through output and advise on how to make it more highbrow? Where does one draw a line? Soft spot for the 'A-Team'? Let it through. Not so keen on 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch'? Bin it.

We are all our own censors. If I don't like a film, I don't go and watch it. If I don't like a TV show, I prod a button on the remote.

Even though Pop Stars, for example, is not my cup of tea, some folks like it. And I respect the fact that those fans have made their own minds up, as opposed to being brainwashed by some corporate machine. As I keep stating, there is a world of choice for everyone. Those faceless grey suits don't seem to have such influence that everything is bland rubbish.

Time to call in Friedrich Nietzsche, with his essay Über Wahrheit und Lüge im außermoralischen Sinn, wherein he argues that the human belief in universal constants and 'truth' is only "a mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms". But then we are all only too aware of his writings, of course, erudite lot that we are.

I think we may have to agree to disagree, or this one will run and run. Good discussion, though!

I give you Beatrice Hall, The Friends of Voltaire:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

P.S. Mods - my next post will be about games, promise.
Page generated in 0.08350 seconds with 9 queries