View Single Post
Old 30 July 2008, 12:19   #20
Music lord
Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I heard or read somewhere once that some of the creators of the Amiga were also responsible for creating the Lynx, so that might just be why there are similarities

Someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong !?
You're right. Designed by Dave Needle and the legendary RJ Mical.

Originally Posted by Avance
As for the SPC700 chip, it had major help from the DSP, and in this case really has a unique sound as opposed to the MOS8364. Probably more advanced too for its time.
The SPC700 is the DSP. You're getting confused with the built-in delay on the chip. And a pile of crap it is too. Not even remotely advanced. It's not a synthesizer at all, it's just a straight-forward sample player with a single delay unit. 8 channels with 64k of RAM. It's only good feature is the ADPCM compression in hardware, effectively pushing that RAM up to about 227k.

But not really.

You see, if you use the delay line, you need to use some of the uncompressed RAM. The more RAM, the bigger the delays, and the less room you have to put your samples. Also, the music player code and music data sits in the same 64k space.

So the player code would probably take up about 5k, the music data itself another 5-10k. Let's say 10k. If you put on the delay for that echoey faux-reverb, that probably uses around 8k. That means available sample space is down to a mere 41k. With the ADPCM compression, that effectively gives you around 140k for 16-bit samples (you can't save space by using 8-bit samples as they have to upsampled to 16-bit before converting to ADPCM).

That ends up being the equivalent of 70k on the Amiga using 8-bit samples, so it's basically the Amiga with 8 channels and a delay.

So anyway, I was unimpressed. Not as unimpressed as with the Mega-CD, however, which had 8 channels and, once again, a weedy 64k for samples, but no hardware compression. We just converted a mod player to run on it and I wrote everything in 4-channels under 64k in Protracker.

I was also unimpressed when I got Playstation development audio board. It's basically just the SNES chip with 24 channels and 512k. And the PS2 is two PS1 chips welded together.
Page generated in 0.06499 seconds with 9 queries