View Single Post
Old 14 July 2008, 13:21   #86
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Is this really the reason why they used mostly 25 FPS in their games? There isn't too much action i.e. in Gods. Ruff'n Tumble in 25 FPS makes more sense, there is a lot of action. But Core Designs Wolfchild used it too. It doesn't look soo fastidious, technically.
Gods was less than half framerate, as was Xenon II, etc. I think they managed to get Speedball 2 and Chaos Engine up to a whopping 25fps, reason must be they came after the introduction of the STE blitter.

Very good topic, this. Amiga hardware can scroll anything that, hm, moves. If it's done correctly, no scrolling routine takes more than 10-15% of a frame @ 5 bitplanes.

But it's not all laziness or lack of skill. Some studios had non-programmers design the game and force the design against the grain of the hardware. Unheard of on the C64!

With skill, and shrinking linearly with decreased scroll speed cap, a 5 bitplane, 8x8 tile level can be scrolled in down to 4-10 raster lines. Bigger tiles mean less cpu time.

Now, that doesn't mean the whole game will run in full framerate, unless you pre-plan how many objects will be on-screen for every level and scene and make the game to suit, like Turrican. Normally you design a game to have this and that cool scene ofc, that makes it more fun. But action games are also more fun with full framerate, so it's a balance.

Other games, like 3D games or the glorious Lemmings, don't need full framerate, naturally. (I'm still envious @ DMA Design for inventing a brand new concept in games, and rendering, with background animation, and an overall good game )
Page generated in 0.09004 seconds with 9 queries