View Single Post
Old 12 July 2008, 14:46   #5
Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
True, the C64 was an instant success in Germany, but in England or in France, the CPC had made quite an impression, especially the 6128 model with its colorful keyboard and additional features.

*Reading below won't captivate your attention much if you weren't involved at all in the Amiga/Atari flame wars of that time*

To me, by that time, waiting for another 6 months proved useful each time I had a computer in mind (The Amiga 500 over the Atari ST and the CPC6128 over the competing models). It seems to me the upgrade craze started because such hurried users let it slip they were disgruntled (see below). Only additional hardware I ever needed for my A500 was a secondary floppy drive, and that was more than enough for my gaming needs.

Also, back is the days, Software houses were making games the way it's meant to be : for gamers, not for people to buy a new graphic board, a new OS, or to keep them from playing the arcade versions. Some (not all) Amiga users thought time had come to be using their machines like a PC, adding RAM, hard drives, but we all know the cost was partial loss of retro-compatibility.

Some Amiga users became narrow-minded exactly like the PC owners they used to criticize, and were hoping for more intensive game development, lurking at those eye candy Quake and Unreal fps that were invading the market. Also, their act of resistance on the hardware front was passably vain as PCs could become quite powerful. Remember when the Pentium II was released, it broke the 233MHz barriers and then the 66MHz bus speed limit, which was quite an achievement.

When a small team of talented people could make an excellent CPC game (Highway Encounter, for example), the need for higher framerate, most notably for 3D fps, which some Amiga users were strangely eager for, just blew away the chance to continue using the Amiga platform for making stylized original games (understating the power of the isometric view).

In fact, by 1997-98 there were already such unique games on the PC (Blade Runner, Dungeon Keeper 2), not even speaking about MS-DOS games that managed to use the limited possibilities of the PCs of that time in a very efficient manner (Descent II).

Last edited by NewDeli; 14 July 2008 at 00:15.
Page generated in 0.14559 seconds with 9 queries