View Single Post
Old 16 April 2002, 13:59   #26
Give up the ghost
Re: Drake, Twin and platformgames

Originally posted by Tim Janssen
I know, I know. Every sane person in this world would loathe Evil Twin because of its horrible bugs but I don't - I have a love/hate relationship with it. Despite its cumbersome controls, bugs and crashes the game oozes graphics quality and imagination.
I have been playing it since January this year which is quite an archievement since I normally don't play games longer than a month. Overall there are 70 levels with each one having different graphics which perfectly suit the unique atmosphere. This might explain why it eats up 1500 Megs from my HD and still needs my CD-rom.
All elements that are typical for a platformgame are further explored in Evil Twin like the 'blowing leafs'-effect of Turrican 2 world 2-2, rotating platforms and Dragonball-Z type of weapons. The game continuously manages to surprise me with new challenging environments to conquer and admire which is rather unique for a PC-game.
The programmers have put so much time and effort in this game that it really shows. I just wished they had put more time in solving the bugs -it would have made THE best platformgame ever.
Hmm. But does it offer anything new to the genre that can't be had on systems that do platform games right? Or is it just a need to have one on the PC. Jeezez - 1500 megs on HD *PLUS* still needs the CD? That's sooooo PC! I would expect a platformer to make dinner, bring me a whore for the night and play orchestral music at the end of the night for all of that!
I have to disagree with you. Your statement would be true eight years ago in the 486DX era, but nowadays PCs can play any platformgame fluidly because of pure processing power.
Then you musta misread my statement. I never said the PC wasn't capable of handling platformers. I said 'poor implementation' and not being 'very good' at this genre. Be that coding, marketing or in practice, I stand by it. And regardless of the processor power, PC's are always jerky (at least while Windows is running). I have seen the fastest machines out there completely choke on simple avi movies or scrolling games or even displaying java-based web sites. I just don't understand how much processor power a PC needs to render smooth graphics consistently.
Page generated in 0.05368 seconds with 9 queries