View Single Post
Old 20 June 2008, 04:20   #15
Citizen of Elthesh
Arrow I may regret this, but...

Disclaimer (in advance): I do NOT accept ANY responsibility for the following and I will provide NO support WHATSOEVER for it. If it works for you, hooray, if it doesn't, that's NOT my problem! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

That said, here's a little hack of the Firefox 3.0 (US) release with just a few lines of code changed to remove the interpolation of images altogether. The only other difference is that it thinks it's a "trunk build" (but don't worry, it is the official 3.0 release code) and is hence called "Minefield" and has a different default start page (if I can be bothered I might look into changing that eventually, I already made an attempt but I don't seem to fully understand the branding mechanism yet; I believe there are add-ons to change the window title as well, if you don't like it).

This 32-bit binary was built with Visual C++ 9.0 Express Edition, which is why it's built without ActiveX and Accessibility support (the Express Edition doesn't come with ATL headers and I didn't feel like installing another 1GB+ platform SDK), and you'll probably need the appropriate runtime libraries (if you don't already have them) which are available from here: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

I've only tested this on Windows Vista (32-bit) and recommend running it in the following way:
  • Install the official Firefox 3.0 release (if you haven't already) and make sure it's been started once, so you have a profile
  • Extract the archive somewhere else and create a link to the firefox.exe in there
  • Make sure the official Firefox is turned off (otherwise it will just open a new window) before you start it, then let it set itself as your default browser (or not)
This works well for me (automatically loading my profile with bookmarks, working add-ons, etc.), but again, if it doesn't work for you: TOUGH LUCK!

So here goes: An unofficial Firefox 3.0 build to remove the image zoom interpolation "feature" (hosted on )

By downloading this file you agree to LEAVE ME ALONE, no matter what happens.

I may or may not make updates for this until an official fix exists, and I reserve the right to completely ignore requests of any kind (someone else could probably do a much better job than I anyways).

Please understand this was just an experiment for my own use (and that I have no experience whatsoever with building and modifying Firefox; although the modification was very simple), and I'm only sharing it here because I thought it might be of some use to others who are frustrated with the blurry images (so long as it doesn't cause me any more effort ).

Last edited by eLowar; 20 June 2008 at 05:00. Reason: Just a few minor changes to the text.
Page generated in 0.06280 seconds with 9 queries