View Single Post
Old 06 June 2008, 23:57   #21
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post

I can see where you're coming from, but that's not really what bounties are about. I'm sure if the AmiZilla people had access to competent coders, then they'd be putting them to work on a Mozilla port rather than send them off to work on AWeb or whatever. Bounties are designed to offer potentially interested coders an incentive to realise the aims of the task that has been set. Obviously the money on offer hasn't been able to achieve that in the case of AmiZilla. If it's just a matter of giving the bounty to a current Amiga browser in development, then I'd be choosing IBrowse or OWB over AWeb. I've used them all (on real Amiga hardware), and IBrowse and AWeb ever since they were released. AWeb is quite a ways behind IBrowse at present and OWB looks more promising in terms of the progress that has been made in the short time it has been available. AWeb has had a lot of updates since going open-source, but the advances over V3.2 (the last commercial release) have been modest at best. Nuff said.
I don't think you do see where I'm coming from - it has nothing to do with any bounties - or monies. It has to do with 'If I am a developer - and I want to advance the community - what is a better choice... an 7 year old project thats gone nowhere, or a current project that is'

Once again - Ibrowse has no place in the argument because it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. And if there are other browser initiatives that are progressing - I'd suggest developers go to them over a project that has shown nothing but a pipe dream. I'm about choosing a project that looks like it will get finished.

As for my comments on porting - they come not from seeing what has been ported, but from porting and attempting to port things to the Amiga. Both back in the 90's and during the days when Amithlon showed promise. It is a general statement that the porting of something from a modern OS to the Amiga is not as simple as many non-developers seem to think it is.

If it were - well we'd have seen some progress with Amizilla.
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.05265 seconds with 9 queries