View Single Post
Old 08 April 2002, 21:03   #7
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

But in reality, the main thing that interests me in non-TOSEC titles is alternate cracks and disks with significant differences. I really don't even have one CD collection that most hardcore Amiga users have from the circulation rounds In fact, I have no DMS CD's of any kind whatsoever! With a few exceptions of things I have found on the net, all of my DMS files are ones from my old collection that I built up back when this stuff was new.

I find [a] disks (whose only differences are mere bits and bytes) to be quite an annoyance and they are the reason I always rallied against TOSEC in the first place. And no doubt there will be more and more new webmasters who will crop and have to show off that they know how to add lines to a startup-sequence, as well as knowing how to spam an Amiga disk. Or people who just have to change files around (defragging, putting 3.1 C: commands on 1.3 game disks, etc.) So that 21,000 is just the beginning.(sigh)
My experience with most non-TOSEC commercial games on these CDs (in the past year or so) has been:

60% contain undetectable bits and bytes (probably a saved game or something) VERY annoying!
20% have an alternate boot block or BBS splash screen or other visible difference [m] like a hacked startup sequence.
10% feature an alternate trainer
5% are an actual different crack
3% have no crack screen, or are cracked by copy tools
2% are actually different versions or a new game

As for those 21,000 disks, most of them are going to fall into the above categories, and then there are the countless applications, demos and PD data disks and such.
Page generated in 0.06430 seconds with 9 queries