View Single Post
Old 23 February 2008, 22:12   #120
spiff
Oh noes!

*sight* The problem with CD haters is that you confuse reproduction of sound and subjective quality, taking take your "warm" (distorted and compressed) LP and then compare with crap CDs using a LP master.

I have no problem with the fact that there are LPs/CDs sounding better because they are better mastered, that is how ever not a problem with the format. Take any of Hoffmans DCC remasters on CD as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post
*sigh*
The FACT of the matter is that vinyl LPs are for the most part taken from analogue masters (excluding horrible new vinyl you find in HMV)
Fair point, a good mastering process sounds good on a vinyl and CD. A vinyl is how ever not CLOSER to the original master for the simple reason that it doesn't reproduce sound as exact as a CD (and I'm not even getting started on PCM DVDA ).

Quote:
and original analogue recordings are better in quality than their digital counterparts.
Shit in shit out. Digital or analog doesn't matter. But the fact is that layering analog tracks will cause way more additive errors then the cumulative mixing of a digital track.

Quote:
If you treat your LPs well and use remotely good equipment the quality is infintaely better than that of Red Book CD audio.
How is it better in reproductive quality? Compressed dynamics, uneven frequency response depending on the attack, harmonic distortions?

For a LP the degradation of the pressing process, and every time the needle touches the surface the supposed "infinite" resolution of the analogue medium is just lost (compared to the original). From then on it's simply a good reproduction getting worse. And thats not even counting the quality (graininess) of the vinyl as a degrading factor compared to the master.

Quote:
I also like the fact that if I scratch an LP it will 'click' or 'clunk' on playing, but still actually play, as opposed to CD's which will either skip insanely or refuse to play back at all.
I also like the fact that unless a CD has been scratched waaay down to the reflective layer a simple polish machine can bring back the exact same sound as the day the CD was new, that if you still haven't got a flac copy of it..

Quote:
Along with less important advantages such as proper full sized artwork and the almost sexual gratification you get from putting on an LP vinyl is clearly the way to go.
Laser discs are sexy too.

Quote:
A fact backed up by the current surge of new LPs and 7" singles being released.
I agree, plenty of ppl like the large covers.

Page generated in 0.06675 seconds with 9 queries