View Single Post
Old 26 January 2008, 19:06   #11
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

@Graham,

it defiantely would be pretty hard trying to take photos of disks, especially since lighting is a major issue.

One thing I must admit is that doing the disk dumps of these diskspare disks took quite some time, lol.

Since some of the AUI coverdisks un-compress onto usually 6 -> 8 disks each issue.

Great thing is I made sure I used blank sealed un-used Sony and Verbatim 2DD disks I had laying around so that I could make sure that the copying that was being done was genuine and error free.

I am surprised how long it takes to copy diskspare disks. It takes ages when compared to copying an ordinary AmigaDOS/FFM formatted floppy disk. Each disk image that was made by diskspare would usually take 3 -> 6 minutes to copy each disk then the issue of disk swapping being a pain also.

Even on a 68060 it took this time, although, the disk drive wouldn't help that. I am still a little puzzled to how diskspare works.

I guess DiskSpare is an Amiga Disk Format that has a track length hack which allows for a larger capacity to be accessible on Double Density disks. I remember reading somewhere that diskspare format allows for an Amiga DD disk to have a capacity of around 980K which is around Track 80 or there abouts.

Last edited by niobyte; 26 January 2008 at 19:25. Reason: Update

Page generated in 0.04415 seconds with 11 queries