Thread: Game Realism
View Single Post
Old 18 March 2002, 04:16   #31
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
1. I never said that just because a game will be considered retro it deserves respect, it was merely a statement of fact. ALL games will be retro one day (good or bad) was the point I was originally making.
I know you never said this, but it certainly seemed implicated, otherwise what was the point of the statement?
Quote:
2. 3D is not a 'style' of gaming anymore than 2D is, it was the natural next step for graphics and like it or not, to make a game 2D these days would be a technological step backwards.
I completely disagree with this statement. Logically, it should be true, but in the real world, it is false. Just as color and black & white in movies. For example, once color emerged in films didn't mean that it was only a condition of new. Unless you consider films like "Schindler's List", "Eraserhead", and "Clerks" (to name but a few) to be technological steps backward.
Quote:
3. To say the scene is dominated by crap these days is rubbish.
Its obviously not to your liking, but then thats just YOUR opinion.
Of course there is crap around today, but no more than there ever was.
Sure it's my opinion. Just as your viewpoint is your opinion. How can you say my viewpoint is rubbish and just my opinion, and then go on to state yours as if there's a distinction? I never claimed my views to be the letter of the law.
Quote:
4. I do not defend those screens you have posted, but they are bad examples...[SNIP]
sigh...it was only a matter of time before someone said this. No matter how many screens I posted, no matter how popular the games, someone will always say this. On the screenshots page I chose these from (screenshots.com ?!?), I merely went to the Most Popular chart and chose the bad examples from it, rather than obscuring and hand-selecting something that showed the X-Box in a bad light. And as much as I hate that console, even I was surprised at how poor the results were. I didn't even go there with the intention of this thread; I was just bored and surfing.
Quote:
5. your reference to one game genre being beaten to death is a PC thing. I am not a fan of PC gaming and never have been, simply because they are too user unfriendly.
And I stated that it was a PC thing. That has spread to the consoles.
Quote:
Gaming has gone from strength to strength and I hope will continue to do so. With people buying more games than at any time before, I think this trend will continue. Your views are in the minority, and its the money of the majority that the developers are after.
Hehehe...I think that says it all. And I will translate it to the underlying truth: it's all about the money, it caters to the lowest common denominator, I am in the minority (ie, not the lowest common denominator, aka lemming). I refuse to accept shallow, listless product simply for the sake of enjoying games from then and now. I choose my games based on their quality, not because I need a quota of games from all eras or systems.

The majority will always rule because it makes corporate pigs more money. Those same corporate pigs are notorious in the entertainment industry for their 'anything for money' mentality that has been dumping garbage music, TV, films, and now games, on the general public. I never cared for the "most popular" from any of those mediums. Which is why I was an Amiga user when everybody else were slaves to their 386's and Mac SE's. And it's why I still love my Amiga today (and why I am here...)

Page generated in 0.09350 seconds with 9 queries