Thread: Game Realism
View Single Post
Old 18 March 2002, 02:09   #25
Give up the ghost
Originally posted by Dastardly
Well that was exactly my point...ALL games will one day be retro!
(You seem to be arguing with and reiterating my point at the same time there )
Not reiterating at all. I am stating that the fact that these games will one day be retro means nothing. Just because they will one day be retro is no reason to append any level of respect to them. It's like being around annoying, screaming little girls at a family gathering that are getting on your nerves and someone says "But it's day they'll be women!" It's just a meaningless statement that changes nothing. Shite is shite. Just because it's old doesn't make a Mr. Acker Bilk record cool.
Originally posted by Dastardly
What I meant was there is crap from every era of gaming old and new. To say that all modern games are rubbish is a ridiculous generalisation. Just because you dont like the 3D or the flashy lighting efects doesnt make them rubbish. A pong fan could easily have said the same thing about the likes of any Amiga game. Instantly dismissing their new pointless flashy graphics.
The simple fact is a true gamer knows the difference between shallow graphical showpieces and genuine fun games. These great games are still being made, if you know what your looking for.
You are really taking this to the extreme and out of context. The term modern games refers to this style of gaming (and it is a generalization, obviously) that assumes in order for a game to be released today, it must be 3D regardless of any variables. Of course every era has its crap, only this is the first era of gaming I know of that is dominated by crap. It took the PC to make that a reality. Now it's spread to the consoles. Not liking 3D or flashy lighting effects is irrelevant. Look at those screens! Surely you can't defend that as "flashy graphics". If that's flashy, then toilets are filled with gold every day.

As for Pong fans saying that about Amiga games, you are seriously off the track. Nobody is saying that more colors or more advanced machines make a game worse. Amiga games came out with not only superior graphics for their time, but good games and hardware that allowed wonderful possibilities in games. That hardly parallels with what we are seeing today. You're basing your opinions strictly on the spec and not the end product. And the Amiga was certainly not dominated by one graphic style and (mainly) one game genre beaten to death. Or the upgrade path to hell factor. The key word here is dominated. I know you can always find an outside example, so let's please not quibble over outside extremities.
Page generated in 0.05456 seconds with 9 queries