Thread: Take Me Back :(
View Single Post
Old 18 January 2008, 20:14   #78
Originally Posted by webhead View Post
i think it sounds like were all waiting for a new amiga.

we need a new amiga with new gubbins thats not seen before,abit like a nintendo wii this is probably the only machine thats brought back the wow feeling for me in a long time ,its fun to play you can challenge people but it lacks the graphics power of the 360 ps3 this has let it down a bit.

but what im saying is imagine a lush new amiga with weird chipsets and new types of audio playing dvd,s burning ,all in a cute little box ,and i dont mean with os4 onit i mean something totally new.

then you might all feel better again.

i know i would.
You know mate that's it exactly, that's what I would love, it's what I do now in a way...try and tinker with various bits of hardware, but it's a lonely thing.

A new machine with some spiffy new hardware would inspire us all again. It doesn't have to be 50Ghz & graphics that could simulate reality, it just has to be interesting, a bit like the Wii I guess. But most importantly, something we can all get into and develop for, hack at, extend. That's the trouble with all of the modern machines - if you don't work for a big software company you just cant get near development kit or dev info. There's homebrew I guess but that's never going to create a buzz like the Amiga did. All those legal issues around modern kit, its stupid and restrictive for now real apparant reason.

I kinda hoped the PS3 was going to be open when I heard you could put Linux on it..but as usual it isn't really, it's sandboxed, you cant really get access to the interesting hardware from it.

I suppose my interest was peaked toward the GP2X too as its an open machine, but its just a gadget really isn't it, it's not an Amiga.

I really miss the community, the magazines, learning something new everyday, that's what the Amiga was, an open wonder machine that brought so many talented people in.
Page generated in 0.05408 seconds with 9 queries