View Single Post
Old 17 January 2008, 15:42   #29
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Photon, Wikipedia does a better job than I can.
Also, I first heard of it here:

Sadly, the webmaster, Rob Dwyer, passed away last year.

Spiffy, eventually, all we may have left is emulation.
Heh. You are talking about storage. And yes, EEPROM, Flash Cards, ... store by electrical fusing; EPROM is the same, only UV light erases it. If you leave the erase window on the EPROM unprotected like in your link, you don't get bit rot. It works as it should, sunlight will erase it over time.

In fact, you can put EPROMs on your window sill for a while, instead of buying a UV eraser. EPROMs have specs, but mainly how many times you can erase it. Program it once, protect it, and it will last for at least decades. Should be easy enough to find a sealed console EPROM (should be rare, ROMs are much more common) cartridge that has bit errors. Then erase and re-program it, if it reads back ok it wasn't bit rot.

No EPROMs in the Amiga. If you can give me proof of one occurance of bit rot in ROMs, you will get a reward! They are made from silicon masks, just as any TTL chip in every electronic gadget on earth. It's far more likely to be damaged by overvoltage or overheating than so called bit rot.

In (E)EPROMs there is at least a chance of degradation over time because of the fusing, but how to prove it wasn't "on the edge" when it was sold? ROMs, ICs? No chance.

But what's important is: stuff breaks for different reasons. The clincher is whether there are replacements. Caps, RAM/ROM storage, logic will be here for a very long while. What remains is the chipset, which is why Minimig/Clone-A is so interesting! Programmable gate arrays will be available as long as logic gates are used in electronics. So the thing is to program their functions into a gate design. This design can then be used so long as it can be ported to newer devkits.

Last edited by Photon; 17 January 2008 at 16:53.
Page generated in 0.05042 seconds with 9 queries