View Single Post
Old 15 March 2002, 10:49   #24
Give up the ghost
I think the problem with modern gaming kids is that they have that MTV mentality going on, the channel-switching remote control mindset. They want to be splashed with a bunch of exciting images, but are not interested in any depth. No patience. It began with rapid-cut music videos and the end result is quick-edit virtual reality. Why would they immerse themselves in a game? Why read a book when you can watch the video (and fast-forward past the boring parts!) It's just instant gratification in a rush hour world.

Today's generation can't stop and smell the roses. They are too busy with their quest for new, new, new (reference the Harlan Ellison interview again). This quest for new sensations can maybe be likened to youth's quest for 'kicks', as they used to call it. But this level of gaming seems to be aimed at all gamers, not just kids. So it is now considered an accepted standard and branded 'modern gaming'.

My only solace is that as this dark cloud looms over the gaming scene, I don't have to participate. There is now a near-bottomless pit of wonderful games to discover via arcade emulation, as well as 8 and 16-bit gaming. The trainers need not be activated, but they are there for the audience that just wants to look at the pretty graphics.

And as always, I parallel this with music. I am still discovering great music from every past generation. Lately, I am hooked on 70's soul about retro. And compared to the shitty modern R&B, it's a godsend that I can't believe I almost missed out on! And some modern music is actually listenable. There are indie artists that are making real music that doesn't play the sell-out game. And I personally believe that the same plane can exist in modern games. There can still exist a subdivision of games that dares to not care what the sales are. If the music industry can have a market for lo-fi, indie artists and record labels to match, then why can't the game industry have the same? Obviously there is some market for rich games that don't have to push all the buttons that equal a best-seller.

The internet has proven that there is a large number of people who prefer retro-gaming to modern gaming. And that is further backed up by the popularity of GBA. If only more industry people had the guts to not be afraid of catering to a niche market.
Page generated in 0.05154 seconds with 9 queries