View Single Post
Old 29 December 2007, 11:23   #79
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
For every hacker who pirates a game there are 20 who buy it. Even hackers buy a few games once in a while anyway.
Now, that's a, shall we say, interesting statistic. Can you back that up? No-one would be happier than I if that were ever true on any platform!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
Being able to trade copied games with friends just makes the platform more popular (everyone wants it) so more units are sold and more games are pirated but also more games are sold too. Everybody wins realy.

People say piracy killed the Dreamcast, I say Sega stopping production is what cause developers to drop the platform with half finished games and that killed it. There were plenty of games being developed to keep it going, too bad SEGA was broke and pulled the plug.
Well, Calgor touched on this, but sure, no platform lasts forever. In the case of the Amiga, maybe it was a combination of the nextgen Amigas still not being competitive enough in performance and price vs consoles, or devs foreseeing another 4 years of making less and less money and preferring the (at the time) piracy-free and bigger market of consoles and PCs with CD-ROM. C= could have churned out machines all they wanted; when all the cool things are happening on another platform, users and devs will switch.

Before the SNES/Megadrive, Amiga still looked better than any console. So gamers didn't mind the load times. But when consoles went from 32K cartridges and flickering sprites to perfect full framerate graphics on huge cartridges and CDs, the Amiga became a platform where you had to wait tons longer to see less cool games.

I think another major factor was that in (late) 1995, there was a Windows that could run games without installing floppies in DOS, there was Quake, Myst, etc., and CD-ROM Multimedia finally caught up with and surpassed the CD32 et al. Before that, gaming on PC was copying a fat pile of disks, installing them in DOS, and editing config.sys growling "my sound card is FINE! I played five games with it minutes ago!" :P

Page generated in 0.05108 seconds with 9 queries