View Single Post
Old 12 December 2007, 15:41   #38
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Apparently you are thinking just about new releases (and for those I'm sure most of people might have more then 2-3 as mentioned), while there are hundreds 'abandoned' games that you can download on the net for PC.

That is even without touching CD images that you can find on torrents.

It more looks like hardware limitation were the reason companies shifted from Amiga to PC. Just take a look at LucasArt, who developed for amiga until they started to use CD for storage (DOTT, Dig,...) or 3D support (X-Wing and similar series).
Glad to know someone knows what I'm thinking ! If you read, I'm suggesting that the majority of PC user doesn't have hundreds of copied commercial games for his PC, while the vast majority of Amiga users did, so more devs were hurt. Non-commercial games are irrelevant, since they don't take away incentive for any dev by being copied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I'm glad someone mentioned the Playstation, where would that platform be without all of the modchips that made piracy wholesale on the PS1? Do you think that Sony would have sold so many if modchips were not around? Not a chance.
Sure, piracy sells hardware, just as with the Amiga. But if 99% of the users know how to copy (modchip, download torrents, transfer...) developers can't make money and _software_ will halt to a trickle. For consoles, millions and millions of families with young kids have only the console, so there's still a huge software market.

It seems it's all about the definition of death of a platform. For me, it's the end of the "golden age" of cool stuff happening and the dev (game/util/demo) scene is so busy that nobody can quite keep up.

Now, as soon as a platform hardware is out of production (or a much nicer platform comes along), it's doomed to fade out. But devs ofc still look at sales, and if people buy games, they'll stretch out its life by a few years, as for the PS. If not, they'll happily jump over or expand to new exciting hardware.

But I perceived the death of Amiga a sudden one, _despite_ new hardware coming out. If you look in HOL, from 91 to 94 there just a slight decline - but in 1995, commercial releases are halved, and only a few of the old die-hard devs stay on, like Team17 and Core.

Now, 1995 is what, 18 months after A1200 came? Usually platforms have much longer lifespans, and I don't perceive the A1200 as so crap for games that nobody wanted to play games on it.

Why would they stop making Amiga software if there was a big market, and new Amiga models were coming out?I think devs simply looked at Amiga sales, looked at Win95 PCs with CDs, and made their choice. Even before that, many had switched to consoles. Maybe because piracy wasn't so extreme on those platforms? They haven't abandoned PS, and I advance the reason is piracy isn't as extreme on PS. Still a big market.

That's the death of the golden age, which is different from when the manufacturer decides it's time to give the platform up. Like I said, ofc any hardware has a natural lifespan, and other platforms pop up that are much more impressive. I think it finally sunk in that impressive 3D was something an Amiga would never have, and PCs and consoles were it.

C= made a bunch of mistakes, but I think people decide for themselves if it's for them - by seeing something cool being done on it. CD32 was C='s shot at the console market, but AFAIK the few cool games drowned in a sea of rereleases with marginally better sound or graphics.

To sum it up, I'm just saying when "all" who own a platform has loads of copied games, that platform will die as far as new cool software for it is concerned. Every time. For consoles, that's simply not true. In an ideal world with no piracy (and decent game prices ), a console could last until new hardware is giganormously better - not just a little better. PS is still "good enough", so stuff that doesn't look extremely dated can still be sold for it.

I base this on talks with game dev friends I had around when the SNES became a household item. No sales on Amiga, expensive (and very selective) license for consoles. Small devs couldn't get a license, and I couldn't see me making games as a future either, so I let life happen to me.

Page generated in 0.11541 seconds with 9 queries