View Single Post
Old 12 December 2007, 12:44   #32
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Piracy of Windows was (and I suppose still is) extremely rampant and the PC didn't suffer, so I don't think the Amiga would have either.
Well, Microsoft took the precaution of writing insane and (now) judged anticompetitive illegal contracts with computer manufacturers: "anything you make must come with Windows and nothing else". Go into a computer store and ask to buy your Dell or Compaq ..."without Windows, please". This meant an instant installed user base of millions.

Still today, a huge chunk, probably the majority of new PC buyers buy a PC that comes with a Windows license installed. Just think of all the licenses companies buy! Still millions and millions of licenses. So Microsoft isn't hurt by piracy in a major way, since not 99% of users copy it.

Small developers? Well, how attractive is it for a small developer to make a PC game today? The ISO will be on the net in a few days after its release. This is why PC games have shifted toward multiplayer - making it require an online service puts the game company in control of a kind of "copy protection" - i.e. you can't play it online with a cracked copy, the engine is tied in with servers that check that it's a valid copy. "A small dev making a great little game - and charging MONEY for it?? who do they think they are??" hehe

PC _still_ isn't as bad as Amiga, since it has a several orders of magnitudes larger user base, so quite a few copies will still be sold. On Amiga it was extreme - "every" Amiga owner had 20 originals that came with their Amiga, a handful of purchased games, and 200 copied disks in the diskbox ... Do you have 225 "commercial, copied or original" games for your PC? Maybe 2-3 cracked games? So the numbers were extreme - on PC you only hurt 2-3 large devs that have 100-1000x potential buyers.

You see what I'm getting at? Proportions. On Amiga, most devs were 1-4 ppl companies, and a much larger chunk of a smaller userbase that could play the full-featured game that everyone knew how to copy in 3 minutes.

Much less potential customers=devs get hurt and lose interest when they don't make money on a certain platform. Can't really blame them for turning to other platforms or quitting. And when no new cool stuff comes out for a platform, that platform dies.

Now, to me personally, the Amiga is very much alive, because I like beautifully designed hardware. But to people who make a living off it, well, there has to be some commercial incentive. They just couldn't make a profit anymore.

--

When it comes to the lifespan of the _hardware_, well nobody can deny C= sold tons of machines but people tend to move on after a few years. Playstation is a good example of devs extending the lifespan of a platform - if nobody did PS games anymore, it wouldn't be a fading platform, but completely dead.

Page generated in 0.10618 seconds with 9 queries