View Single Post
Old 12 December 2007, 10:57   #24
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Software piracy didn't kill the Amiga. I'd say tons more Amigas were sold because of copy parties and quick-ish swapping. But without copy parties, cracktros, and competition to release cool stuff first, no scene. It's what made the scene blossom from 3K cracktros with color cycle+scroller to groups making multi-disk megademos.

So for the scene it was good, but you can bet your ass small developers (the 1-4 people kind) got tired in the end selling 500-2000 copies of a game that took half a year to make. 30000 hardly covers 2 people's salary + rent a place to work in, not even mentioning packaging the games and marketing them.

So I think when it went from kiddies buying some 8 tape cos they didn't have a dual deck recorder to kiddies having an X-copy night with a stash of 150 disks, devs ran out of money and they couldn't see enough money coming in, so they gave up and started another career.

Today, most kiddies don't have a "game capable" PC, and if they have a father who does, it's still a matter of setting up torrent tracker, possibly getting an invite, use a DVD burn/mount utility... if they don't know how, it's back to "knowing someone that will burn me a DVD" or maybe go to a LAN for 8yo etc etc.

Also, most games for kiddies are for consoles, PCs have "serious" games now. Roco Loco, platformers, sports games... for PC? nah. Back then a regular family could have a 10yo who knew perfectly well how to copy a game in 3 minutes flat. Same family, copy a console game? Fageddabawdit! No surprise devs prefer consoles, and make more money.

Some generalisms here, but I hope you catch my drift

ps. My drift is that piracy killed Amiga software development - which eventually led to no new releases. Which led to BBStros over cracktros and stagnation of the scene in the end. (I'm sure the HOL guys can make a chart of #releases/year and see when it happened. Interesting stuff!)
Now if you only can prove this.

It appears that game industry didn't make money because of pirates, while on the other hand we have more and more companies making more and more games?! Contradiction??

Piracy might have done some damage to the developers, but the way I see things it is just an excuse. If the game was good and worth money, I would buy it, even if I own a copy. (even today) Eventually I had games copied that I never purchased, but I wouldn't purchase them even if I didn't have a copy.

I hope this makes some sense.

Amiga started loosing ground as progress of updating hardware and getting new stuff out got slower over it's main rival - PC. World moved to 3D in the middle of 90's and amiga wasn't ready for it.

And amiga was killed by atari's superb OS. (aka TOS)

Page generated in 0.08063 seconds with 9 queries