View Single Post
Old 12 December 2007, 10:45   #22
meynaf
68k wisdom

Piracy didn't kill the Amiga, surely not. The culprit is the PC, and everything else, though it might not have helped, is anecdotic. Agree with me or not, I don't want to troll here

Let me explain...

Consider newcomers in the computer industry, back in the 80's or 90's. They simply couldn't build Amigas. But they surely could build PC clones, which spared them the R&D costs - that's because IBM didn't bother to put a copyright on the hardware (they just copyrighted the original BIOS code, which could easily be - and was - rewritten from scratch).

And so they did. They flooded the market with this awful - but cheap - garbage named PC.

Pushed by so many developers, the PC evolved quickly, and finally took over the market.

If the Amiga were free back at the time, it would have won.

Now look at the PC you have under your very eyes. It is sure fast. You can do a lot of things with it.
But the basic architecture is still as shitty - if not shittier - than what it was back in 1981. I programmed on both the Amiga and the PC, and I know where the fun is.

The Amiga has nostalgists - a lot are here on EAB.
If the Amiga had taken the place the PC now has, there would not have been any nostalgia.

Commodore should really have allowed clones !

Page generated in 0.06384 seconds with 9 queries