View Single Post
Old 07 December 2007, 23:17   #55
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi Roman,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I'll get the unhelpful bit out of the way first:
The pretty guide was written by someone else. I included it as an alternate to mine because:
-It assumes a PC wholly given over to Amithlon, while mine assumes a dual-boot scenario. (flexible though)
-It's a straight-to-the-point guide vs my round-the-houses style.
Different guides for differing needs...
...trouble is I read that guide to make sure it worked, but as I didn't write it can't here-and-now remember its method well enough to be helpful.

If you're using that guide my waffling on about grub is a red-herring - ignore me!

Suggestions:
-You will need to HD install to get bigger displays to work reliably (like mine) as you'll need to be running an updated version of Amithlon + WB + P96 + RTG.lib from the latest stable WinUAE. Then you'll need to roll a new monitor definition file as P96 never came with one for such monitors. (Mine may do for you at least as a start - differing refresh-rates & all that) A GF4200ti should be quite capable of such modes - my 4600ti was (before I gave it away - bah!).

-Your problem sounds like the boot-manager you are using isn't installed into the MBR (master boot record) of your primary HDD (usually IDE 0,0) In case you don't know when a PC first boots it looks for a small chunk of code @ the start of the boot-HDD that tells it where to look for starting the OS. It's somewhat akin to the RDB system Amiga drives use...
...watch out! If your AmigaOS drive / partition has an MBR written to it that will overwrite the RDB making your AmigaOS files unreadable. (Why I suggest using an &76 partition further up the primary drive's partition table as a virtual Amiga RDB HDD to avoid this possibility)

-Yes, I'd suggest you try my guide instead - but then I would say that!

Best of luck.

Page generated in 0.07758 seconds with 11 queries