View Single Post
Old 10 November 2007, 16:50   #64
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I don't know anything about Archimedes but it seems that has good exclusive games!

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/si...ine2700045.jpg

If there are more exclusive games like this one I will try to use an emulator for this computer
I'll try to dig out a few links when my brain is working better.

The fundamental pluses of this system:
The architecture is rather simpler than the Amiga but with a flexible chipset backed up by a very powerful for the time RISC-CPU, and proper VGA output.

This gives us some nice advantages today:
-It's bloody easy (relatively speaking) to produce 'authentic behaving' emulators for the PC. The better ones are nearly indistinguishable form the real thing. You don't have to buy real hardware to get the 'experience' unless you want to...
-The simple but flexible chipset combined with the brute force of the CPU made ports of many of the best games on other platforms a piece of piss. IMO many Acorn ports play better than the Amiga versions.
-Though at the time it was a problem the smaller market couldn't justify writing/porting bad games as they wouldn't sell. There a very few!
-Finally there were some brilliant originals that never made it to other platforms. (often because they didn't stand a hope in hell of running on other contemporary hardware)
Some examples:
Starfighter3000
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
FTL by TBA software is weirdly brilliant. (can't find a link)
Virtual Golf, probably the best version you'll play (link?)

For comparison most of these were written when the A500 was king of the hill. Yes, a couple of ports have sneaked into the above list.

Then there's the Flashback, Lemmings, Gods, Paradroid, ChuckRock's etc that all were ported very well. Mostly by Krysilis Software.

More..?
Well, if you want real hardware you can still pick up a RiscPC with included x86 card for very little. It's a good system & with said x86 card will make a good DOS/3.1/95/98 box for all your retro PC games too!
or
If that's too modern an A310->A440 or A3000 (see my modded one) -> A3020 may be more your cup of tea.
or
Maybe you want a 'modern' one. New RiscOS computers are still being made!

(Just don't buy one with a Viewfinder Card or I'll have to come round your house and murder you for it. )

Hmmm, enough gushing I think.

Last edited by Charlie; 10 November 2007 at 18:32.

Page generated in 0.07463 seconds with 9 queries