View Single Post
Old 05 October 2007, 10:27   #86
Citizen of Elthesh
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
Kinda nice... I remember now...
well, but what about getting the Amiga behaviour then?
I mean window activation on single click, but no window-to-front on single click? Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but it seems that is not even possible in X Windows... wtf?
Well, as far as I'm aware you can't get that on Windows easily (the X-Mouse thing is just a hidden option that has been there all along, window tracking, and I don't think it has any more hidden hidden options). I'm sure there are ways to work around that, and on X anything is possible of course on account of most of the window managers being open source. But nobody seems to have bothered.

Someone else (I think, maybe it was you ) complained about the same thing on IRC recently. Could you give me a screen shot of a situation where that behavior would be beneficial? And preferably one that's not caused by having to work at extremely low resolutions (because that may have been an issue back in the day, but it isn't now for the average desktop OS).

I do see the benefit of having keyboard focus without raising the window sometimes, but what's with clicking? That said -- it appears to be a little known fact, but -- Windows Explorer (and possibly other programs) does not raise a window when you begin to drag an element from it, and I do like that it behaves in that way. But when else could it possibly matter?
Page generated in 0.05732 seconds with 9 queries