View Single Post
Old 15 September 2007, 10:09   #21
Originally Posted by T hairy Bootson
In your opinion, they are not a waste of time in my opinion because occasionally someone will mention a game I have not played and I will give it a try to discover it is quite good. For example I had never played Jet strike or Jet strike AGA until someone mentioned them in one of the top ten games of a certain year thread.
Again, they are subjective judgements, and your taste just happened to agree with the ranking. As I said, there is nothing objective about a top-ten, even if fifty EAB members agree unanimously on the apex of Amiga gaming (e.g. Populous). Objective judgements on Amiga games come from applying a standardised model, agreed upon by a community that appreciates the cultural artifact, in this case, Amiga games. They aren't absolutely objective, but they are objective within the agreed-upon model, if indeed a model could ever be agreed upon.

So my compromise is, no superlatives, no top-ten rankings, tell me why you like this game, above all others, and give reasons for your conclusion.

This thread isnt about the best amiga game ever, its about hidden gems yet undiscovered by some members.
Sigh, the same concepts still apply. If you say to me, "Jet Strike is a great game, a real hidden gem, hitherto undiscovered" that means nothing to me. That's just your opinion, a meaningless statement to everyone but you, consisting of your definitions of "great" and "gem", which are relative. But if you give reasons, or better still write an essay on why it is great, then you might convince me, but only if I agree on your system of evaluation.

Find myself asking this same question when reading many of your posts over your short time here.
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.05121 seconds with 9 queries