View Single Post
Old 15 September 2007, 08:55   #19
Top-ten lists are a waste of energy and time, and prove nothing. Many Amigans roll their eyes when they see these threads, they know you can't elevate Populous over Frontier, or over Secret of Monkey Island, or over Dungeon Master, not in any objective sense anyway, this is no science.

So, your favourite game is Populous. Is your favourite colour blue? It is meaningless unless reasons are given. And even then, an extended essay on why one Amiga game should be elevated over another, unless a criterion of assessment is first agreed upon by the community, can only ever be tongue in cheek, can never really be a true indication of the value of a cultural artifact, in this case, an Amiga game. Hell, even then, the best communicator, the most convincing writer, could easily pull the wool over the eyes of many a reader.

Praising a game with superlatives of every kind doesn't cut it, nor does any kind of top-ten, even if fifty EAB members vote and unanimously agree on the apexes in Amiga gaming, they still are not necessarily accurate value indicators. _However_, with that said, I would prefer those who recommend games to give _reasons_, else I put no real credence in them.

Do the opinions of EAB members hold more water than reviewers, many of whom have vested interests, reasons to bestow accolades on a shit on a stick? Of course! (But there were some journalists, back in the day, the judgements of whom I trusted, though they were rare as hen's teeth.)

Sigh, Why is oneshotdead spewing all this shit? Oh, he's back on the booze again... hehehe
Page generated in 0.05250 seconds with 9 queries