View Single Post
Old 30 August 2007, 22:57   #173
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
On another note, I think a lot of people wished at the time that Sonic had been ported to the Amiga like Sega promised. It would be easily possible on ay AGA Amiga, and probably even the A500 with some good programming and colour reduction.

Honestly I think it would have been pure hell to adapt Sonic the Hedgehog (the MegaDrive/Genesis version) to the Amiga without stripping the game of quite some features. Huge sprites, paralax scrolling and layer upon layer (at times) moving independently of each other doesn't exactly make the game suitable for the Amiga hardware, besides, the Amiga lacks a tile-mode forcing the game to using the blitter... and the blitter wouldn't manage to render the game and all it's graphical effects in a fluent 50Hz or 60Hz a second without doing some really efficient stuff... there's just too much happening on the screen.

I'm not going to say that it would be impossible, but claiming it to be easy isn't exactly anything close to the truth. The two most technically impressive platformers I've seen on the Amiga would be Lion Heart and Brian the Lion (what's up with the lions, anyways?)... and Sonic-wise one could look at Kid Chaos and Mr. Nutz, which both feels like they have been designed with Sonic in mind (especially Kid Chaos, which almost feels like a blatant rip-off... too bad it was a catastrophy of a game). I think quite much effort was put into these four games, programming wise, though...
Page generated in 0.08049 seconds with 9 queries