View Single Post
Old 08 February 2002, 02:59   #3
Woah there... Calm down!

Okay, I think it's time for some defending remarks about the article and some background history on myself.

Twistin'Ghost, could you point out exactly *where* I make any "slap in the face" remarks about the Amiga being bad? I ought to slap you in the face for interpreting the article with such a bias. Where are these "insulting stabs" you refer to? I'll have you know that I was born and bred on Amiga - the reason why I chose it as the basis for the article (an homage to my childhood memories heheh).

The days of Deluxe Paint II, AMOS, WorkBench and 500 1.44MB disks of games are very clear in my head and I wouldn't have completed a degree in Computer Science at the University of Melbourne if I didn't have an Amiga in the first place.

I'm not denying the fact that I am a dweeb (would I have time to write this reply if I wasn't? ) but you guys seem to have really jumped to the conclusion that I hate Amigas and worship the polygon - that I want to make love to every new console that's released.

The intention of the article was merely to juxtapose the quality of a game from 1991 to a game from 2002 (XBox and PS/2 sprang to mind simply because they're the latest consoles on the market), and I thought it would be funny if a company tried to pass off a 1991 quality game in this day and age as if nothing was wrong.

Whether that's funny or not is completely your judgement, but in no way or form was I taking the piss out of Amigas.

I have never touched an Atari ST in my life, however I must confess I did own an 80086, but I can assure you the games on that were shit compared to Amiga - I always laughed when I got Street Rod 2 on PC and Amiga, the Amiga version had 256 colours and MOD music, while the PC version was PC speaker and EGA only :-)

Oh, and yes, we are bitter - no apologies there

And if you want proof that I don't think 3D automatically means superior graphics, take a look at a game I've been working on using DJGPP and Allegro:

You'll notice the game is in 2D, and you'll notice even MORE that the game is VERY similar to Super Cars II on Amiga... that's not a coincidence - I was trying to make a game on par with it in playability... no easy task I assure you.

Annnyway to conclude, I'm not trying to pick a fight or have a flame war here, I just wanted to set the record straight. I sold my Amiga in 1995 and to this day still think it was the worst thing I ever did. I still have all my Amiga Format magazines and wouldn't dare throw them out. I am almost (if not as much) a fan of the Amiga as you guys are.

Don't hate me. Love me. We can all get along.
Page generated in 0.05207 seconds with 9 queries