View Single Post
Old 18 May 2007, 17:29   #45
jotd
Cat freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabilo

Do you have any idea how the original maps were build and would it be possible to parse and use that information, instead of recreating the levels?
The guy who gave the levels to HOL used tile information (located in memory while the game is running?) to recreate maps for sure, since items were missing, and there were problems in his process, and some tiles were mixed up.

But for all items (bonuses, ...) and initial monster locations, riddles, ... I suspect this would be harder, and sometimes made by bits of code (as I actually do too).

I think this would involve heavy resourcing of the game, I don't want to do that.

The way I'm doing is:

1) get the ripped graphics from Mavado and tag the tiles using a custom "palette" editor I have written in the first place
2) use the .png image from HOL as "import" in the custom level editor I have written. The tagged tiles are compared to the image and recognized in the image with RGB values.
3) Then, I play and watch movies of the game, and insert monsters, bonuses, money ... exactly where they are in the original game. I also correct mixed up tiles when there are some.
Tedious but works. So far, levels 1 and 2 are fully defined, and I have also written a small sample to test my editor in "creation from scratch" mode (see attached images)

(the final aim is to create completely new levels with existing graphics of each 4 levels)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.png
Views:	170
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	13892   Click image for larger version

Name:	view_0010.png
Views:	172
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	13893  

Page generated in 0.06171 seconds with 10 queries