View Single Post
Old 15 May 2007, 11:00   #32
InfoVS

Ahhh...now we're talking...
@Toni...
The problem is with segoeui.ttf font. It is used by some applications, not only Vista. So it is installed and needed on my XP. But since when additional (not overwritten) fonts are supposed to cause different look in programs??
Maybe WinUAE needs to check if OS is XP and if it is disable usage of segoeui.ttf. I don't know how this font looks in Vista (and I'm not going that road anytime soon btw...) but in XP with ClearType OFF it is blurry.
So, I had free time to take caps with and without segoeui.ttf fonts, with and without CT and how I think it should look by capturing screen with old 1.4.1 version. JMHOOC. @Ironclaw, thank you for all your posts and help...but I don't think zooming pictures is necessary, people can do that in simple picture viewer. Also, I captured small portion of Window Explorer so you could see ClearType effect on other windows...

XP, segoeui.ttf installed, ClearType Off (standard font smoothing) - extremely ugly
Click image for larger version

Name:	SegCTOff.gif
Views:	332
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	13860

segoeui.ttf installed, CT On - better, but ClearType is affecting other programs and not everybody likes that...

Name:	SegCTOn.gif
Views:	329
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	13861

segoeui.ttf NOT installed, ClearType Off - This is an OK look. But I have to remove segoeui.ttf font from fonts folder and this is not acceptable.

Name:	NoSegCTOff.gif
Views:	315
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	13864

1.4.1 WinUAE version, segoeui.ttf doesn't matter, ClearType Off - best look, IMHO. Don't know what was wrong with that look that had to be changed.

Name:	CTOff141.gif
Views:	308
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	13865

Regards

Last edited by InfoVS; 15 May 2007 at 11:31.

Page generated in 0.04615 seconds with 12 queries