View Single Post
Old 26 January 2002, 10:46   #9
Give up the ghost
I, for one, like your soapbox speeches. It's a needed reminder of the real glory days and what drove us to the fanatacism that we tend to shy away from nowadays (although we are out of the Amiga closet, so to speak, since we are all here, right?)

To this day, I still get ridiculed by 'beamers' because I still frequent Amiga boards (like here) and talk Amiga talk, emulate, buy games, etc. They didn't get it then and they don't get it now. And it's their loss.

Your description of the program you created jarred my memory of those days when I would use these programs. Even just trying them out to see what they would do, their ease-of-use made it possible to create something on your first go. The more possessed of us took it even deeper. For me, I created one serious NoiseTracker mod and dabbled in a few others before deciding that sequencing was more work than I wanted to devote to the task. But I did create some songs. And I created tons of pics in DPaint (and a few animations). With CanDo, I made a jukebox disk of Depeche Mods, I created a graphical database of movie musicals (including sound samples from some films via Perfect Sound, poster art scans with DigiPaint, and video captures using Live500), I dabbled in some games with SEUCK and AMOS (sorry, my poor math skills prevented me from pursuing real programming), and many other creative projects I can't remember right now.

My friend Carmen/The Tapeworm was so good with creating graphics on the Amiga, he took Deluxe Video and managed to use it to create games featuring his brilliant artwork and animations. One of them, The Worm's Undersea Odyssey was so similar to the Dragon's Lair/Space Ace games, you'd think it was a playable demo from Readysoft! And my nephew even made a stunning 24-bit graphical database of US National Parks (that even Virgin was interested in buying!)

It seems those days of this kind of creativity are just a memory now since the PC world is calculated, paint-by-numbers, assembly line, predictable cack. The only bright spot I see is in emulation and even then, it requires so much horsepower that once again the limitations of PC's and Windows suffocates the process.

Mind you, I do a lot of music recording on the PC these days, but had the Amiga survived this battle against PC domination, I'm sure I would be doing these same tasks on a more seamless, fluid Amiga and with a lot more precision, technology and user control.
Page generated in 0.05205 seconds with 9 queries