View Single Post
Old 26 January 2002, 01:24   #7
The pirate game scene (all over the world) was just the tip of the iceberg. Imaginative artists embraced it for what it was. A creative outlet tool at an affordable price.
In the '80s I put together a program called 'PlayBench'. It was an educational tool for youngsters to teach them how to use a mouse.
Using a Yamaha Keyboard with a midi interface I composed the start music in iff format.
Using Deluxe Paint and Icon Editors I created the artwork.
Using an audio digitizer and Aegis Audiomaster I created the sound effects.
Using DigiView I digitized my face and animated it on a cartoon body using MovieSetter.
I put these all together on one disk. When it started you were given a choice of places to go, like a haunted house, out in space or on a farm. When you chose the haunted house it put you in front of it at night. Using the mouse you could point at characters and click once, to animate them, click twice to hear their sound effects or click and hold to place them elsewhere. If you clicked on the door you would enter the house to another screen and so on as you explored all the nooks and crannys.

My point is this: These accomplishments may not seem like much now, but in 1989 the IBM could do NONE OF THESE THINGS! The point and click interface of workbench gave your creative juices a break. IBM'ers spent most of their time floundering in dos mode.
- For IBM:
- There was no windows which was later a cheap rip-off of workbench, anyway.
- There was no digitized sound, just beeps.
- There was no midi interface.
- There was no animation.
- There was no photo digitizer.
- and the color pallete sucked.
- There was FRUSTRATION...

IBM machines were status symbols that sat and gathered dust in the homes of untalented sheep.
Amigas were used DAILY by gifted individuals who saw the future and wanted to change things for the better.

I can't program. I'm no composer. I'm not an artist. But with the Amiga I could be all of those with just a little imagination.

We were totally outnumbered...
Page generated in 0.08693 seconds with 9 queries