View Single Post
Old 26 April 2007, 17:20   #1
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Upgrading an A500 to an A500+ tech questions

Hi

Before anyone asks, I have found and downloaded Syko's document regarding this subject, however I have a couple of questions that the document doesn't answer. I have a basket case A500+ board which was damaged by a leaking battery, however the RAM and custom chips are OK.

1. Will an 8375 Agnus go straight into the socket where the 8372 is on the A500 with no modifications, i.e. isolating pins as per magazine article?

2. Can I desolder the RAM chips from the A500+ and fill the remaining four positions on the A500, will the new added RAM chips be recognised, especially if I replace the Agnus chip as per 1 above, and will it be chip or fast RAM?

3. I am going to change the Denise chip, is there any point in changing the Paula or Gary chips as well?

4. Are there any other modifications required to reconfigure the modified A500 as an A500+?

5. If I change the Kickstart chip to the 2.04 version, is there any point keeping the 1.3 Kickstart and using a ROM switcher, I am thinking of the cheap "piggyback" mod as found on Aminet?

Merlin

Page generated in 0.45489 seconds with 11 queries