jotd
Cat freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Instructions:
Download.
Play.
Play some more.
Thank JOTD for putting in the effort to create this.
Stop bitching.
Play some more.
Thanks for all your comments. I'd like to add that I chose Java because it is fast and rather easy to develop games, compared to C++, even if I agree that execution will be approx. 2 times slower.

If it had not been for Java, I would not have been able to develop Supercars 3 during my spare time, and now remaking Gods. With Java and Eclipse compared to a classical C++ development environment, I think that developping a game is 2 or 3 times faster.

Java is slow not because it is interpreted (it is no longer interpreted but compiled at class loading since 1998 thanks to JIT) but to the all-virtual method concept: no method cannot be inlined and even getters and setters require a function call. Also, you cannot avoid a bunch of "new" calls, which calls memory manager recklessly, and in sequence the garbage collector.

There's also a Java proper compiler called Excelsior JET. I've quickly tested it on my games without success (maybe because of the game structure, the lack of JAR files...), but some friend of mine told me that the apps that you can compile are twice as fast, without any source modification.

Page generated in 0.05096 seconds with 9 queries