View Single Post
Old 21 March 2007, 04:48   #24
an old bsd'er
Send a message via AIM to rbelk Send a message via Yahoo to rbelk
I agree with Ant512. OSX is as close as we will get to an Amiga. I also agree with Mabus, Linux is not slow or bloated.
The distribution you install is bloated and that is what bothers me.

Sorry for the long post, but let me describe what UNIX, Linux, and BSD is.

1. The UNIX Operating System was written in the late 60's by the super techies at Bell Labs. They modeled some of UNIX after the MULTICS Operating System. But, after about the 3'rd version they rewrote the OS in the C programming language, which they created, to make it more portable. Only the base kernel was written in assembler. They also wrote the POSIX UNIX layer that anyone can put into their Operating System. See Wikipedia's POSIX article for an explanation.

2. Linux is not a version of UNIX but BSD is. the Linux middle layer is POSIX compliant but the kernel internals are far from the internals of UNIX System V3-to-V5. It is written a whole lot better!

3. BSD shared the code base with UNIX System 3 for a long time, but some of the kernel internals were rewritten to take out all of AT&T's code due to the Berkley/AT&T lawsuit. The POSIX part stayed in there. So since it shared the code base with UNIX, it could still be classified as UNIX theoretically speaking but it's still coded better than UNIX System V3-to-V5.

4. Linux is the kernel not the whole Operating System. The Linux kernel is combined with the GNU userland utilities, the POSIX compatibility libraries, and the X window system, and either the Gnome or KDE window environment to make a distribution, or in our terms an Operating System.

5. BSD is a combination of the BSD kernel and BSD userland utilities, and the POSIX libraries. Then they add X with either KDE, Gnome, or what ever to make a GUI environment. Then it's called a distribution, or in our terms an Operating System.

6. Having a POSIX layer in an OS does not make it UNIX or an old OS from the 70's. It's an industry standard that has been around since the mid-80's.

6a. OS's with POSIX compliant shared libraries and utilities include All versions of UNIX/BSD/Linux OS's, the Amiga OS(?! via 3'rd party), Windows NT 3.05-to-Vista with the Microsoft POSIX utilities and libraries, and even VMS. And just in case you didn't know it Windows NT-to-Vista is based on the VMS internal code base which is poorly written.

Sorry about getting on a soap box but sometimes OS threads kinda get to me. So please don't ban me, I'm just a little

Last edited by rbelk; 21 March 2007 at 05:08.
Page generated in 0.05620 seconds with 9 queries