View Single Post
Old 21 March 2007, 00:26   #22
Originally Posted by superBuster
ant512, you need to try a modern linux flavor, like the latest SUSE 10. You won't have to edit anything. If you like osx, cool it's just bsd/linux anyway.
The last version of Linux I installed was Ubuntu 6.10. I'm waiting on the next version and I'll give that another go. Apparently the resolution problem is fixed in that release (via the addition of a GUI).

I'd dearly like to get on with Linux - I think the development process and the ideas behind it are marvellous. However, it won't be a desktop OS until there is:

- One standard distro;
- One standard desktop;
- A response other than "get the source and fix it yourself" whenever a problem arises.

The way I see it, Windows is a great office OS (it's easy to administer for underpaid monkeys and runs the best office suite, interoperability issues aside), OSX is a great home OS (it doesn't need administration and is incredibly easy to use) and Linux is a great server OS (stable, and everything can be done by the command line).

Anyway, I'm drifting off topic.

Oh, and regarding Linux being based on a 70s OS - AmigaOS was based on TripOS, which was (ta da!) a UNIX derivative. OSX is based on BSD, which is (drum roll) UNIX. In fact, the only modern mainstream operating system to have achieved any success that wasn't ultimately based on UNIX is Windows, and you all know what a swine that is. Windows is essentially based on the work of one American student hammering out some half-baked code in his dorm room.

My rationale for finding more in common between AmigaOS and OSX is as follows...

1. Hardware tied to software

OSX will probably run on bog-standard PC hardware if you hack about with it enough. However, it's designed to run on a very limited subset of hardware - specific graphics cards, specific Firewire interfaces, etc. You buy a Mac and you get the OS free. Sound familiar?

2. Three levels of hardware

Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro. Entry-level, standard, high-end. A600, A1200, A4000.

3. Powerful command line and GUI

Pretty much anything you can do with the Mac GUI you can do with the terminal. Same goes for the Amiga. Conversely, pretty much anything you can do with the command line you can do with the GUI. Doesn't hold true for Linux - a significant amount of Linux software is command line only. There are probably two reasons for this; first of all, there's no dominant GUI - make your program for GNOME and it looks crap in KDE, and doesn't work with FluxBox. Secondly, GUI programming is so much harder to do than knocking something text-based together.

4. Designed for the average user

The Amiga was designed for people. OSX is designed for people. Linux is designed by uber-nerds for uber-nerds who will demand that you learn at least one low-level programming language and an API in order to fix your own problems as you encounter them.

5. Obsessive userbase

OK, so Linux users fall into this category too, but there's something about crazed Mac zealots that seems familiar.

Last edited by ant512; 21 March 2007 at 00:42.
Page generated in 0.05429 seconds with 9 queries