View Single Post
Old 19 March 2007, 16:29   #24
360trev

Wink 2-Cool/LSd!

Hello Gentlemen,

With the power of the internet, you found me.

I am franky astonished that all these years later my ancient games from way back are still generating interest/curiousity. I have not touched an Amiga for nearly two decades now. I gave my A1200 away what seems like centuries ago, source-code and all. It had everything on, the Enigma sources, my game engine, megabytes worth of source-codes I had collected or written, lot.

I think Lee Smith (musician) may have had a copy of the source code to Enigma but I cannot be sure as I have not spoke to him for many years. I may still have partial sources on a A3000 dev machine somewhere in the attic! If I find them I'd gladly share them with the community, assuming anyone can still remember how to develop in MC680x0 assembly
Back then it was quite impressive what was achieved, the game actually used ADCMP compression for the audio samples (technology later used in cell phones for voice compression) for the Soundtracker sample compression. The playback routines also real-time mixed the sound samples with the game soundtrack for 8-channel reproduction, all so it could fit seamlessly onto a 3 floppies with several hours worth of music.

Atrophy Shelved
Regarding Atrophy, unfortunately I had a severe falling out with Frank Tout over game design (mostly graphics and music) and up front royalty payments. To this day we have never talked again. This is the biggest shame because we where very good friends and in the end all of this was just pointless really.

Due to all of this the original Atrophy was shelved (Although I am not sure if Frank did anything else himself with the concept) and the team (graphics Danny Hammond, music Lee Smith and myself Trevor Mensah) created Enigma a spin off, again using quarter pixel scrolling for ultra high precision smoothness. This game was actually ground up new, not using any of the original Atrophy source-codes at all. The formation of a new company was to differentiate the two games.

Enigma Shelved
Sadly Enigma never released either for a number of reasons;
1) Legal: Threats of injunctions and countless letters received from Franks solicitors made everyone sceptical that a publisher would want to release the game for fear of action (despite it being unfounded, the game was total re-written which could be proven by access to the sources) but this was not the main reason.

2) Completion: We only developed 4 levels out of the 8 promised. (Actually looked hugely impressive at the time in the water level scene with the moving water level and copperlist water effects). In the end I created a scripting language (which assembled down to bytecode in much the same way that Java-VM's work), this allowed the musician, lee to create all the alien waves and essentially script the logic of the themed game levels.

3) Life got in the way: Had no time personally to complete the final levels and some collision detection was a little cumbersome, as I was in the midst of my of degree course the game got 2nd priority.

I left the gaming scene with the Amiga, then spent a few years in Philips R&D labs on consumer products like the very 1st Generation DVD players (!), Plasma's and also LEP (Light Emitting Polymer) display technologies.

Amiga chipset in STB's!
In my managerial capacity of working for a large consumer electronics company I even contacted Commodore directly and offered to 'buy' the rights to the AGA chipset to be used in TV's and Set Top Boxes of the 90's. At the time it would have been amazing for me to resurrect the old girl but Commodore said no, regardless of the money offered (considerable!). The offer was sadly rejected because of their claims around some very confusing matters surrounding the loss of the design schematics (very strange!). Amiga chipsets in satellite and cable TV boxes was never meant to be (although it came close, VERY close)...

Trev

Page generated in 0.07283 seconds with 9 queries