View Single Post
Old 07 January 2002, 08:04   #9
Give up the ghost
Originally posted by Shadowfire
bash all you want, but Ami never had OS support for 3D acceleration, multiprocessing, virtual memory, PC compatibility, scanners, cameras, weird joysticks, video-in capture cards (no there was *NO* *OS* support), better-than-stereo sound, playing music CD's, no common interface for programming SCSI/IDE hardware (SCSIDirect died before it really had a chance), alternative input devices, memory protection, tape backup units, zip drives, music generation, OLE, etc.
PC compatibility is in there. That's why slow-down programs exist for DOS games (which OS support for, ironically, has been dropped by M$) - so we can strike that one off.
Weird joysticks - ??? The standard of joysticks (9-pin D-sub) that the Amiga uses also provided support for every stick/pad that used that format. And no need to fiddle with drivers, either.
Better-than-stereo sound? The OS comes with a sound card? As I see it, one must buy a sound card (or deal with whatever the dealer installed) to have anything above beeps. And every sound card I have ever seen required drivers being installed.
Playing music CD's? What version of Workbench/AmigaDOS are we talking about here? You are obviously referring to a lot of current features of Windows, but probably comparing them to WB 1.3! Workbench currently supports music CD's (PlayCD program), mp3, wav, aiff, ahi, and avi/qt. CacheCDFS supports ISO9660, RockRidge, MacHFS, and Joliet (W95/98) formats.

As for alterative devices, well the OS currently supports zip/jaz drives and SCSI devices, although scanners and internal modems would be good. But developers and manufacturers typically provide such drivers and that's not an OS responsibility. Likewise you can say that Windows now provides virus protection, CD burning, etc. but we know that is a bad idea. I personally don't want piss-poor copies of commercial products provided by a company already over its head in just fixing the problems of the OS itself.

By the way: have you ever heard of MultiView and datatypes? This combination provides simplified functionality for obscure filetypes without all of the muss and fuss that Windows products put you through for global file support. And Workbench currently provides support for lha/lzx/dms/zip/etc., xad, internet/network access, web browser, email, and filetype recognition (as opposed to Windows' extension recognition),

And let's not forget the shell, which no version of Windows has an equivalent. Nor the alias command. Or a handful of others I could name.

What creation? Windows comes with music creation software? I'd like to know more about that one...I admit, I haven't put XP through any kind of thorough going-over. Tell me more about what M$ includes in the OS for creating music.
thats a *small* part of some of the features supported by Win2000/XP that are not supported by AmigaDOS...
Even smaller now...
in summary, there's a huge amount of code which causes all the much ballyhooed "bloat", but its all this code which makes Windows programs interoperate so well, which is functionality that the Amiga never saw, even with ARexx (although ARexx was a great stab at it).

so by all means, if you want to be locked into pre-yesterdecade's hardware and software, the Amiga is an excellent choice.
No, that bloat comes from code that is written by teams developing parallel with each other, but not together. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be so damn many bugs and patches. And badly written code, too, but that's to be expected when you're trying to be a jack-of-all-trades (and master of none). You speak of pre-yesterdecade's hardware, but essentially modern PC's are very close to what they were back then once you strip away all of the (add-on) cards. If the current Amigas (that others have spoke of on here) can support PCI cards, then modern day Amigas are not pre-yesterdecade after all.

Another thing about that bloat is that it's caused by using software to attempt hardware's job. Why else would processors have to be 500+MHz?!? Pure horsepower needed to make the Yugo go fast enough to win the race.

I mentioned inconsistencies in your post, yes. I didn't say you were stupid and never said you couldn't program. But as you noted, you programmed for the Amiga in 89-92. You need to realize that if you are going to describe the limitations of WB/AmigaDOS from that time era, then you should be comparing it to the features of Windows 3.x running on a 386/486.

And when you talk of games that chucked the audio.device, you leave out the fact that they chucked all of the stock OS libraries and just took over the whole damn machine. Which is why so many classic Amiga games kick so much ass and fit on a single floppy or 100k executable file. No PC ever accomplished that, even today. Take your PC down to low-level and see what kind of goodies you can come up with - especially that stand the test of time that so much Amiga software has done. Your equivalent PC file will be a CGA or EGA game that still requires a graphic card! It's no fair to mix comparisons of Amiga assembler programs that take over and hardware bang, with OS apps!
Page generated in 0.06152 seconds with 9 queries