Thread: My two cents
View Single Post
Old 31 December 2001, 05:21   #2
Give up the ghost
Yup. Even if XP can be installed with the 'old school' look, even under the surface is nasty things. I don't like having to 'check in' with Microsoft before I can use my computer. And this is required every several programs you install (why? so they can check it all out and make sure you are not pirating? is this a police state or something?) M$ has no respect for privacy nor personal security, as evidenced by countless security holes (including Denial of Service vulnerabilities in even MS SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7.0). XP was released with the same security holes, only worse because additionally these holes allowed hackers to completely take over the machine by recognizing peripheral devices (?!). They refer to it as a buffer overflow vulnerability, and it gives any hacker full privileges. How does something like this get out the door and bypass the 'experts' at MS or the beta testers? It took an independant security consultant firm to find it. And I have already ranted in great detail about the IP stack which is a DOS hacker's dream. It just seems everything MS touches is done so irresponsibly and that gets worse with each revision. I won't go back further than W98SE and I shall go nowhere near XP.

WinUAE is really taking a beating from WinFellow these days. To its credit, however, Toni has been incorporating some really good things into his bit and must be commended. It's what keeps WinUAE in the running and what makes looking at updates worth the trouble. Shame about the sound...
Page generated in 0.04975 seconds with 9 queries