View Single Post
Old 21 November 2006, 12:15   #38
Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Originally Posted by sarek2k
i spent the days learning config.sys and autoexec.bat, as well as pissing around with memmaker/qemm etc it's not fun, and i shure as hell don't wanna go back to it
Yeah.. I remember doing the UMB blocks BY HAND by looking at MSD's memory allocation map after each boot and then making modifications to my config and autoexec..

Qemm and memmaker both crashed on a laptop I was tweaking and emm386.exe ram auto didn't automatically detect all the UMB's that the machine had available.

I had five include regions in emm386's command line and all my lh/devicehigh commands had manually selected regions. (shudder)

Took a couple of hours + countless boots and a lot of shuffling with the load order, but I did it! All my drivers (including sound, mouse, cd-rom) in a UMB and max amount of base mem free. :^)

Then my mind drifted back to the Amiga days and how nice it was not to have to worry about that kind of memory management. True, chip vs fast isn't optimal either but it's a lot nicer and easier than umb's, ems and xms. :-)

Last edited by Jope; 21 November 2006 at 12:46.
Page generated in 0.04994 seconds with 9 queries