Thread: Cloanto debate
View Single Post
Old 03 October 2006, 12:06   #128
glwxxx

Alyria, so are we going to discuss these details now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyria
1. I tried playing one of their "preconfigured" games, picked one at random (Zoom), and it crashes the whole machine (not just UAE but Windows itself too) before you even get to start playing.
It works here but if you really think it is caused by AF and not your PC, why don't you write a short bugreport to Cloanto instead of mentioning it here? As a customer you get a support.

Quote:
2. The version of UAE they supply is obsolete and unsupported.
Things burned of CD often gets obsolete. That's why there is an online updater.

Quote:
3. The Deathbed Vigil DVD supplied is not the extended, digitally-remastered one made by Dave Haynie for DVD release, it is instead one that was digitized from an old VHS tape: image/sound quality is very poor and the extras are missing.
Quote:
I have both too, and you are talking crap. From Cloanto's own provided documentation:

"The original sources of all videos usually were NTSC VHS tapes, often chosen from the best version of multiple available ones, and in a few cases combining the best data from different tapes."
So you knew (or at least you could read it) it's based on VHS before, why do you complain now?

Quote:
4. There is nothing anywhere to suggest that the commercial games included have been included legally, they are pirate versions. Hypocrites.
Wohooo, come on, are you serious?

Quote:
5. Most of the software supplied is just demo versions, eg. ClassAct.
yes, and MUI as well.

Quote:
6. The ROMs supplied are worse than those that are freely available: they don't work without stuffing around with keyfiles etc.
WinUAE supports them, WHDLoad supports them too... What is the problem? Needless to say the ROM keyfile is part of the license agreement.

Quote:
7. They haven't bothered including a 3.9 ROM, instead they force the warm rebooting of the emulator to apply the patches in RAM every time, making bootup times considerably longer than they need to be.
First, such a ROM is not official and therefore it is not an object for licensing thus it cannot be included. Second if you have such a ROM, why you don't use it? Why you want it to be included on CD? Man, this is really the issue why people should not buy the AF.

Quote:
8. The HDF files that were apparently supposed to be included are missing.
What to say. Cannot you return the product within 30 days or so?

Quote:
9. The only Workbench which is there in full is 3.1 (6 disks), all the rest are just the first disk only.
Yes, another "important" issue.

Quote:
10. No support for actually using the thing on anything other than Windows. Eg. like an Amiga. Obviously they don't care about the Amiga community.
c00l, what a conclusion.

Quote:
All this is for the 2006 "Pro" edition, ie. the one that is supposed to be good!! I only checked it out for about an hour, I'm sure there are many more problems too.
Yes, sure, for example my favourite apple pie is not included as well.

I am sorry for such an ironic tone, but those "problems" you mentioned do not seem very important to me.

Page generated in 0.05809 seconds with 9 queries