View Single Post
Old 05 June 2001, 21:03   #26

Sorry, bad choice of words. I never meant to imply that you were calling me a liar, I just trying to make a point that I had no reason to defend the ST as I'm an Amiga man through and through!

And yes you're right, I meant polygon AND vector games.

I appreciate what your saying and I agree with you - I was just trying to quickly explain my original statement why 3D games were faster on the ST.

In more detail:

Many Amiga titles were converted UP from the Atari ST versions - meaning they used 16-color graphics modes with 512-color palettes. Certain games originally written for the ST, particularly 3D polygon (and a few role-playing games), performed VERY poorly on the Amiga because they were written with the ST's FASTER CPU in mind, and simply recompiled with a few small tweaks to make them Amiga-compatible. Moving these games to a slower CPU saw ~11% speed decreases.

Linking with what you said, they might have been great 3D games if the developers had added blitter support, but unfortunately they never quite made it.

Overall I think we got our wires crossed. I was trying to say purely on a software front, that ST 3D games released back then were faster and the only example of ST superiority . You on the other hand rightly explained that the Amiga could have been faster looking at the hardware on the two machines.

Hope we’ve cleared things up!
Page generated in 0.05039 seconds with 9 queries