View Single Post
Old 16 June 2006, 21:41   #42
HOL / AMR Team Member

Originally Posted by HCF
Compared to ABasic, AmigaBASIC was far superior. It was not perfect but never intended to and free. BASIC is not intended as a development platform but rather to introduce programming concepts.
Probably true. ABasiC was more like the BASIC found on 8-bit no GUI elements like those found in AmigaBASIC. Hence ABasiC was geared towards coding (text) apps (explains its early popularity in coding stuff that appeared in Fred Fish), while AmigaBASIC was geared more towards games programming (explains why a fair few early commercial games used it).

As an aside, AmigaBASIC was a licensed part of WB, which wasn't was built into the price of Amigas that people purchased new. As you said, it wasn't perfect (IMHO it was slow and buggy) and looking back should have been absolutely free for this very reason alone.

Originally Posted by Dexther
we forget ?
Can't remember something that never happened BASIC was conceived in 1963 in the U.S. by John Kemeny and Thomas Kurtz, some 12 years before Micro$oft was established. Check out the Wiki entry for a bit of history on Basic:

Interesting to learn that Fortran was conceived before BASIC......never knew that!

Originally Posted by Chuckles
Pascal has going for it the fact that one of the primary goals the language was intended for was teaching people to program, that's true. The language was also intentionally designed to teach "good" structured programming practices while discouraging "bad" ones, such as the use of the "go to". Having worked with a few complete novices to programming in the past, I've found that for some of those, the added complication of learning structured programming slowed the rate at which they learned to program at all. For that reason, I still think BASIC is a pretty decent language to use to teach the absolute fundamentals of logic. Once a beginner learns the basics of programming logic, then you can always teach them why some ways of coding are much better than others, and what advantages other languages offer. Personally, I've never been all that impressed by Pascal, but that's just me. C++ is more to my liking, though I've used it only sparingly. To each their own, of course.
Have to agree with most of what you said. I learnt BASIC first (self-taught), then moved on to Pascal (picked it up in a snap in early high school probably because I'd learnt BASIC first), and then moved on to 6502 assembly language (self-taught and bloody difficult, but I was motivated to learn enough of it to do raster interrupts on the C64). Have to say that Pascal was a very good language in its day and IMHO is still very useful as a stepping stone to learning more complex coding languages.

This is turning out to be a great thread that you started!
Page generated in 0.09598 seconds with 9 queries