View Single Post
Old 14 June 2006, 12:16   #99
Amiga Games Historian
The games i have solved without cheating... a lot.

I played through a large part of the commercial adventure releases on the Amiga, like all great games from Sierra, LucasArts (or Lucasfilm as it was then called), Delphine, or classics like Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Nippon Safes, Simon the Sorcerer, Dark Seed, Erben der Erde, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Innocent until Caught, Legend of Kyrandia, Altered Destiny or Les Manley. Or many more i donīt remember without digging through my collection.

Among my absolute top games were the adventures from ICOM: Deja Vu, Uninvited and Shadowgate. They were one of the reasons I bought my first Amiga 500 in 1988.

Another one of my top favs was Kult, or Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess as it was called in the USA. The ending was a bit simple, but the game was like a dream.

Or Neuromancer, I liked the game so much I read the novel as well. Very cool cyberpunk setting, and the Amiga version was the best of them all. I played it for weeks, upgrading my software, continuing in the story.

Or Personal Nightmare, my first horro adventure. It really scared me... 15 years ago.

I also fell in love with the Dynamix adventures. I was really shocked when they did not continue producing games with their adventure system. I played through "Rise of the Dragons" a few times, trying to find alternative solutions (moderately successful), also "Heart of China". Aaargh, they donīt make games like that anymore. I even liked "Willy Beamish". Maybe those games were not so successful on the Amiga because they required a harddisk to really be able to enjoy them? I donīt know. Many of the later adventures required a harddisk to enjoy them.

Also solved many text adventures from Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls, Level 9 or Interplay (Borrowed Time was cool, also Mindshadow and I loved Tass Times in Tonetown). Or very cool (and easy) was Island of Lost Hope.

Ok, I did use hints for some of the games, but they were not so easy to come by in the time before the internet.

I made a list of all released adventure games and published it on the Aminet many years ago, no idea if it is still available there. The list contained more than 100 adventures. There were only few where I havenīt seen the ending :-).

Since I generally owned originals, which I mostly bought pre-owned, I rarely had the problem of corrupt/missing disks or manual requests I could not solve.

Apart from adventures, I played a lot of simulations, flight sims (Interceptor, Falcon, Battlehawks, their Finest Hour, Flight of the Intruder) or sub sims (Silent Service). Or strategy games like Civilization, UFO or Millennium 2.2. Or role-playing games. Actually I liked rpgs a lot, but they were generally much more time consuming than adventures, so I solved only maybe a dozen.

SSIīs Phantasie III: The Wrath of Nikademus was one of the most memorable. Took me maybe a week. Or my beloved Dungeon Master. Or of course "Bards Tale: Tales of the Unknown", another reason why I bought my first Amiga. Played Bardīs Tale for many weeks. Or Champions of Krynn, the first Gold Box game that was released on the Amiga.

Another rpg I solved together with a friend in a few weeks and without cheating was the fantastic space rpg "Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday". The box came with the novel, which I read first, later and after solving the game I read all following novels as well.

I also played through a few platformers and shoot em ups, but mostly I stopped after a few weeks and reaching level 4 or something like that. I generally had a hard time really completing any action game without cheat.

Rodland and R-Type come to my mind.

Actually, I played Amiga games heavily from 1988 to 1998, when I finally had played through most games I was interested in. So I was forced to switch to the dark side and buy my first IBM clone. I hated it, but it provided me with dozens of more new adventures, which I could play in the following years... and still play. Atm i am stuck in "Black Mirror", a few weeks ago I played through "Still Life". Without cheating in maybe one month.

Ok, since I am sitting in the office I should maybe go back to work now.
Page generated in 0.05945 seconds with 9 queries