View Single Post
Old 20 May 2006, 20:36   #14
snarkhunter

I started with... listings in "Basic" from French computer magazines, circa 1980 - and no computer ! - , until I eventually noticed that I could actually understand what the purpose of these was !

In 1983, I did purchase my very first home computer, i.e. a "Dragon 32". I would use Basic for a while and, a couple of years later, the same thing happened with 6809E assembly listings from dedicated magazines. So I kept using both languages, and occasionally checked some other ones as they became available (such as Forth, Lisp, etc).

When I purchased my first amiga, back in 1988, I never, ever, thought of using Basic again, since the only one that was available at the time was so hopeless. Therefore, I decided to stick to machine code, but never got that far into the Amiga's OS because finding any proper documentation was a real pain at the time. I believe the most advanced things I ever wrote were written in 6809E, which was just great fun programming. And, as a self-taught coder, and a rather isolated one too, I obviously had some strengths and weaknesses ! Very often, I would just do things because no-one had told me these were not possible, hahaha !

Over the last 18 years or so, I've been using business languages for my job : either IBM's "mini computer" languages such as RPG, or a bit of Java, which I hardly understand, due to not actually being a programmer, and never having been trained either ! But this does not seem to bother my boss that much !

sh

Last edited by snarkhunter; 20 May 2006 at 21:54.

Page generated in 0.04701 seconds with 11 queries