View Single Post
Old 17 November 2001, 00:10   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It just sort of depends on the disk itself. I downloaded a game called Fals Bike with a [b] flag on it, but it just guru'd before it ever ran the startup-sequence. I renamed the startup-sequence so it would not load to verify that the (non-standard) bootblock was the culprit (and it was). It was one of those virus protection bootblocks, so no loss, I re-installed. Rebooted and executed each command from the startup. The final of three commands was called reset. And that's just what it did. It was a lose-lose situation. The diskname was "System 5 ! Compilation No.71" and contained filenames 1-5 in the root. I executed each file and they all ran with no problems (Fals Bike, Crusaders Hot-Wired one parted music disk, Kyrios demo, Do! Run Run, and Yogi's Great Escape++). So I made a new startup-sequence which created a generic menu. The disk is no longer [b] and the filename is no longer "Fals Bike (19xx)(New Wave)[b].zip".

I have not had any luck recovering files from a disk via DiskSalv under emulation, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Simple test. Delete a file on disk, then try to recover it. If the physical sectors of the original disk contained hard errors, there's no real chance of recovery, though.

Page generated in 0.05016 seconds with 9 queries