View Single Post
Old 17 May 2006, 21:57   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well, your decision. But don't say I haven't warned you in time
Alternatively, let people vote

For beginners I agree with other guys that it's simply TOO cluttered as it is now.
And some options really will hardly ever be used by a beginner. I'm really no (!) beginner, but in several months, I either haven't touched the default settings of Sound or Filter in any minute because there was no need, let alone Input settings: tweaking mouse speed will usually cause old(er) programs to go mad and to malfunction, so if you just CAN-NOT HELP changing it, do change it in expert mode, but leave this out in beginner mode.

And are there soooo many people who would use ShapeShifter every day so that it MUST be displayed at any cost in beginner mode? I think not even two dozen in fact...
And how many people have a Catweasel so that they really MUST have this in beginner mode too? As Catweasel users are usually experienced nonetheless, they would change to expert mode, so no argument to keep it in.

And about Quickstart ... I did try them, most of them at least.
"A1200 - *LOW* compatibility"!
CPU was always at 100% because of Fastest Possible preset. No thanks!
CPU->Chipset to 4 (Bernd's recommended default setting) and CPU calmed down. Some other applications *might* have a right to work parallelly, mightn't they?

I also do not see a point why JIT is on in A1200 *low* compatibility mode, very strange ... with most AGA games and demos, it will only cause side-effects which you maybe do not want.

Lastly: Beginner and expert modes could also be made customizable by user.
This would solve the "different users - different opinions" problem. Windows programs do/did this by INI files with maybe a [beginner] and an [expert] section, with each and every section customizable and pre-defined on fresh installation. You could maybe offer a small number of alternative mode configuration INI files on the WinUAE web page, so that every user can pick his most suitable one. And if he really does not accept ANY of those, he should make his own one. Plain and simple!

(Sorry for the long post...)

Last edited by andreas; 17 May 2006 at 22:11.

Page generated in 0.04251 seconds with 11 queries