View Single Post
Old 02 May 2006, 11:59   #23
Flink

Thank you all for our replies!

You see, I'm a telecommunications engineer with a strong emphasis on programming and control systems; I own 3 Macs (MacOS X Tiger), 2 PCs (Win and Linux), 1 Amiga4000 Towerized + WarpEngine '040 33Mhz (Amiga Workbench), 2 Amiga CD32s, 1 Nintendo Gamecube.

I understand what you say about this AmigaONE platform not being suited to develop for seriously, but it's AmigaOS 4 that I would like to develop for.

And it's not "serious". I don't want to make any money on this. I develop on the Mac, PC and Linux for that. I want to develop on the Amiga to try to strengthen a bit the platform, to contribute, for fun. Just like the Amiga was in those glorious days... I just loved the simplicity of Workbench.

Thing is my Amiga4000 is stopped at the moment, and although I will try to make it run again on it's old self (Workbench 3.1, I guess), I want to develop for the new OS, no matter what hardware they will run it on in the future.

So, I would like to get hold of a developer board and install the Hyperion AmigaOS 4 developer kit. But as some people mentioned, it seems to have vanished from sight... I can't seem to find it anywhere, not even on eBay second hand.

I confess I've lost track of the Amiga headings lately (I mean, in the last 3 years), but I think they need to define a hardware base so that AmigaOS 4 can be a viable platform. And although it might never cause Jobs, Bill or the Linux community any kind of chills at night, I'm sure it would find a niche market. The Amiga had this spirit that kept us smart and active. The Mac is the next best thing on a much greater scale, but I'm not ready to give up on the Amiga if I can contribute to make that spirit endure.

I spent lots of years as an Amiga user (A500 - A4000T). I loved each hour and I learned a lot from the computer and community. I'll keep trying to get the developer system from somewhere and update myself on the Amiga situation.

Page generated in 0.03878 seconds with 10 queries