View Single Post
Old 06 December 2005, 21:06   #16
Angry Kid Fan
I know it is crazy, but I really liked those original Atari 2600 joysticks. When you moved that stick, you knew you were playing a game. I went through quite a few of those. Most of the time the plastic ring would go, but on two occassions I found that the convex metal contact had cracked. I could fix that, but not the plastic ring. You can't replace it with a rigid material and I never found an epoxy or glue that could repair it so that it would last. I tried micro-switched joysticks but felt a bit 'detached' from the action. The Atari joysticks had a very satisfying feel to them, probably because they were quite stiff. I had one stick that lasted quite long: it was bought with the Atari 2600, used for many years on a C64 and then for a month or two on the Amiga. That thing was a legend. I didn't play any wagglers (although Combat School had a monkey-bar level where you had to waggle it) but I reckon the main reason I broke those sticks was plain wear while enjoying games like Demon Attack and Yar's Revenge on the 2600, then Cybernoid and Ghosts 'n Goblins on the C64 and then Rodland and Midnight Resistance on the Amiga.

Last edited by X-ray; 06 December 2005 at 21:12.
Page generated in 0.05304 seconds with 9 queries