View Single Post
Old 24 November 2005, 10:20   #37
AGF [PC] Games Developer
Send a message via MSN to DaphydTheBard
Unfortunately, games programming doesn't pay the bills (yet ).

It's amazing how "serious" programming and games programming can actually help each other out though....

For example, I only started learning DirectX because of a work project I wrote a few years back (and still support) which was a music sequencer for crematoria (don't even ask (although this project still brings in the money)).

From there, I then expanded into other areas of DirectX and got hooked on using it for writing games instead of using API calls.

And I started using a class-based approach at work, and then re-wrote my engine to be class-based.

I'm pretty much self-taught - no qualifications in programming, but I've been doing it professionaly now for nearly 7 years, which is as good as a degree when it comes to getting a job. When I left my last job I had numerous interviews before I got the job I do now, and I always made it through to the final 2 or 3 candidates, and it was always due to my experience and hands-on, real world approach to programming.

I just wish I had more time for games development. I have a 12 hour working day by the time I get home in the evenings, (leave the house at 6:30am, don't get home till 6:30pm) and once you've had tea, put some washing on, fed the cat, and pampered the missus for a bit, there's precious little time (or brain energy) left for "fun" programming.

When I was single I used to sit up all night with a bottle of scotsmac, a four-pack of beers, 20 marlboro lights, and code into the early hours.

Admittedly I had a hangover most mornings but they were fun times.
Page generated in 0.05224 seconds with 9 queries